Monday, August 25, 2014

Hits, and misses

This chair, which I neglected to get a before picture of, was purchased the same day as the HP desk, albeit from a different yard sale. I went back to this sale after getting the HP desk home, and paid $20 for this chair - but it was hideous. It had a yellow paint job that had been grossly antiqued with a brown layer over it, underneath a few years' worth of dust and dirt. The seat was covered with a very dated gold fabric adorned with eagles - the type you see on 70's patriotic materials. At the time it was done, it might have been in style. Someone else's style - not mine. 

I wanted white, and something to go with the teal-ish wash on my HP desk legs. I love the way the chair came out.
The problem with the chair is that it is just a smidge too tall. I am not short, at nearly 5' 7", but this chair is too tall for me. When I took the hideous gold eagle fabric off, the original leather seat was still on the frame. I didn't want to destroy that, so I simply added a layer of batting to make more of a cushion and covered it with my lovely fabric. I don't think the layer of batting makes that much difference, but perhaps it does. What I do know is that my feet do touch the floor while I am sitting in the chair, but my knees are not really at a 90 degree bend, which would be optimal. Also, the arm rests are a good two inches below my elbows. In order to rest my arms, I find myself slouching to one side - also not optimal. When I combine this chair with my HP desk, I usually end up putting my feet up on the support of the desk instead of on the floor, and then slouching in the chair. So while I love the look of this chair, I am going to continue to search for the perfect HP desk companion seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment