Thursday, September 4, 2014

No such thing as permanent

So while searching on Pinterest last year, I found a really cool example of DIY table setting decorations using a Sharpie marker - at least, that is what it said in the text accompanying the pictures. 

I read reviews of the process before attempting it myself. The reviews said not to use regular Sharpie, but instead use the oil-based kind, then put it in the cool oven, turn it to 350, bake it for 30 minutes and let it cool in the oven. 

I bought a mug at Savers, and used a gold oil-based Sharpie to write "Don't let the muggles get you down!" on the side. I baked as directed, and then proceeded to use it, wash it in the dishwasher, reheat it in the microwave to test how it would stand up. Turns out, not so well. 

I returned to the internet to see what else I could use, since I'd already purchased sets I wanted to do up for the girls Christmas presents. I found paint markers specifically designed for using on glass and ceramic, and followed the directions - which are, unsurprisingly, the same as the ones I'd followed for the Sharpie mug.


This one was for the left-handed daughter - it has the names of the songs from One Direction around the border of the plate.  
















This one is for the right-handed daughter, and has the names of the songs from Twenty-one Pilots around the border of the plate.















I delivered the presents last December, but based on the condition of the Sharpie mug, I recommended hand washing instead of putting them into the dishwasher. The girls decided to begin using the mugs shortly after receiving them, and they were very good about hand washing...for a while. It has now been 8 months. The plates are still pristine, because they have not used them yet. The cups - the cups are another story.



Sufficient to say that even paint marketed for glass and ceramic is not necessarily permanent. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment